(Endorsed 25 November 2022)
In August 2019 Food Ministers agreed that the most effective way to achieve nationally consistent menu labelling would be to develop a food regulatory measure under the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code (the Code) with development of a Ministerial Policy Guideline the first step.
The Policy Guideline was developed and informed by targeted and public consultation. An economic evaluation on menu labelling was also commissioned and used to revise the Policy Guideline and develop the Decision Regulation Impact Statement.
In November 2022 Food Ministers endorsed the Policy Guideline. The Policy Guideline provides strategic guidance to Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) about Food Ministers’ expectations on menu labelling to support consumers to make informed healthy choices and create consistency across jurisdictions’ menu labelling regulations.
Ministers also requested FSANZ raise a proposal to develop a food regulatory measure for menu labelling in the Code, incorporating findings of evaluations from existing menu labelling schemes in Australian jurisdictions.
Following completion of FSANZ’s work the Food Regulation Standing Committee will develop consumer education to support the implementation of menu labelling and will undertake a coordinated, bi-national evaluation of menu labelling post implementation.
- Policy Guideline – Menu Labelling: displaying and providing energy information for standard food items on menus and at the point-of-sale in standard food outlets (PDF 184 KB)
- Policy Guideline – Menu Labelling: displaying and providing energy information for standard food items on menus and at the point-of-sale in standard food outlets (Word 31 KB)
- Decision Regulation Impact Statement – Menu labelling in Australia and New Zealand (PDF 1043 KB)
- Decision Regulation Impact Statement – Menu labelling in Australia and New Zealand (Word 414 KB)
- Final Report – Menu Labelling Economic Evaluation (PDF 3279 KB)
- Final Report – Menu Labelling Economic Evaluation (Word 8035 KB)
Food regulation page feedback confirmation
Thank you for submitting the page rating feedback.